Alright people, you always hear me whining about how major brands regularly disrespect the freelance producer by offering chump change to it’s finalists and asking them to campaign for the brand for pennies or for free with horrible odds of winning any type of decent payday……
Now you are going to hear about branding contests on the other side of the online video contest spectrum…
For three Superbowls now, Doritos has done more than any single brand (probably more than all of them combined), to draw the attention of the ad world to the largely untapped freelance creative talent pool.
This year they are blowing everyone and even their own past contests out of the water. Blue Chips may be down but not these cheesy bit’s of gold.
Check it out.
1. Doritos guarantees six (6) finalists.
2. All six finalists will receive $25,000.00 each.
3. Three (3) of the six finalists will have their commercial air during the Superbowl.
4. If USA Today polls your Doritos commercial as the best of Superbowl spot (It happened last year people with the Herbert Brothers “Free Doritos“), than they will give you a $1,000,000.00…… ONE MILLION$.
5. If you poll 2nd in the USA Today Ad Meter, you get $600,000.00.
6. If you poll 3rd in the USA Today Ad Meter, you get $400,000.00.
7. And if by chance, Doritos scores all top three (3) USA Today poll places for the best Superbowl commercials (yeah, I know it’s a long shot, but), they will give those finalists an extra $1,000,000.00 EACH. EACH!!!
Okay, you may say I am biased to the Doritos contest, and you would probably be right. Yes, I was a finalist three years ago and won $10,000.00. Yes it was my first national commercial spot. But just ask any of the other 9 people who have scored national commercials through the process if they are biased. They will probably agree. They will most likely share with you how it has helped open doors in their careers. Point is, there is no better opportunity for a freelance creative than when Doritos runs their Crash The Superbowl contest. Talk about the modern online video contest genre…Doritos started the whole ball rolling……If you have won an online contest sometime in the last 3 years, you should be writing a ‘thank you’ letter to Fritolays.
This is the type of contest, or ‘open call’ if you will, that i know many brands are capable of executing. I also think that five years from know it will be common place. These are the types of contests to be heralded, not the chump change wannabees.
If you want to know all of the nitty gritty details about the contest, hit the thumbnail pic of the Doritos CA$H photo above, and read on.
In the meantime, start on the story boards guys and gals, coz Doritos is cutting checks to all worthy creatives.